Welcome to the CDRP Press Room
Contact: Jillian Green, Allison & Partners
Office: (310) 496-4451; Mobile: (818) 645-0633
About the California Dropout Research Project:
- The California Dropout Research Project (CDRP) was established in December 2006 to produce new and useful research to inform policymakers, educators and the general public about the nature of the dropout crisis in California and help the state develop a meaningful policy agenda to address the problem.
- To date the project has produced a series of 19 Research Reports and Policy Briefs addressing four facets of the issue: (1) the measurement and incidence of dropping out; (2) the educational, social, and economic costs of dropouts for individuals and the state; (3) the short-term and long-term causes of dropping out; and (4) possible solutions.
- It has also produced 17 Statistical Briefs that address more specific questions about the nature of the problem. In addition, the project's Policy Committee-composed of researchers, policymakers, and educators-issued a report on February 27, 2008 with a series of recommendations on what schools, districts, and the state should do to improve California's high school graduation rate.
- It has also produced 44 City Dropout Profiles of the impact of dropouts for all major cities in the state.
- The 98 publications have been distributed in print to all superintendents and legislators in California and have been downloaded more than 80,000 times from the project website. The project has also generated media attention via 20 television clips on major California news channels, 30 articles and editorials in the state's major newspapers, and three op-ed articles.
- The project is directed by Russell W. Rumberger, Professor of Education, UC Santa Barbara.
- The project has received funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the James Irvine Foundation, and the Walter S. Johnson Foundation.
- Project Summary (PDF)
- Read More
CDRP in the News
- Comprehensive list of media appearances and op-eds
- Guide to all of CDRP's publications
- CDRP's representation in Sacramento and nationally